Cardamom is a unique and distinct spice. It’s exotic. It’s warm. It not only tickles your olfactory nerves, it has some amazing health benefits. Here are just a few:
- Boosts metabolism– It is thermogenic in nature and helps the body’s ability to burn fat while boosting metabolism.
- Antioxidants– Phytonutrients, essential oils and vitamins which are in cardamom, act as antioxidants. It tends to clear up free radicals and resist cellular aging. Who could resist that?
- Detoxification– By cleansing and removing all of the waste from the body through the kidneys, cardamom is known to detoxify the body.
- Hiccups– Since it is an antispasmodic spice, cardamom can help you get rid of hiccups. Say goodbye to drinking water upside down or holding your breath! It will help provide relief from involuntary muscle spasms, such as stomach and intestinal cramps.
- Cold and Flu– It is a pungent spice that will act as an excellent home remedy when you need relief from cold and flu symptoms.
- Mental Health– Drinking cardamom tea has been suggested by Ayurvedic practitioners to help fight depression. Through a rejuvenation of the cells and a detoxification, a natural ingredient within this fine spice is said to treat depression.
- Pathogens– It has been suggested that people with infections consume cardamom. There are different essential oils in cardamom that inhibit the growth of viruses, bacteria, mold, and fungus.
- Oral Health– Cardamom was chewed after meals in many ancient cultures. It not only acts as an exceptional breath freshener, it cleans teeth and gums. Chewing a seed of cardamom is especially good after eating foods with strong, pungent aromas such as garlic and onions. It can also be used for mouth ulcers and infections.
- Asthma– adding a small amount of cardamom to your diet can be very beneficial if you suffer from asthma. As it is an anti-inflammatory herb, it helps breathing by reducing inflammation of the airway path and lungs. It is also a natural remedy for whooping cough and bronchitis.
- Complexion/Circulation/Clear Skin– One powerful antioxidant that cardamom contains is Vitamin C. By improving blood circulation throughout the body, skin complexion is also enhanced.
- Lip Care– The essential oils of cardamom smooth lip balms and improve their taste and smell.
- Scalp Care– Our hair follicles require an adequate amount of nutrients for maintenance and growth. Black cardamom is nourishing. It has anti-oxidative properties that benefit your scalp and hair follicles.